- 1 cup sugar, generously measured
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 11 ounces chocolate
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 4-2/3 ounces almond flour
- 1-2/3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons superfine powdered sugar
- 18 ounces chocolate
- 2-1/4 cups heavy cream
Burnt Sugar Cream
- Place sugar in saucepan, add water, and heat slowly while stirring. When liquid starts to form large bubbles, stop stirring. Continue cooking until sugar reaches a rich amber color. Remove from heat and carefully add 3/4 cup of the cream. Once cream has been absorbed, place caramel mixture in a container and cool. Whip the remaining cream. When it begins to thicken, add caramel mixture and continue whipping until stiff.
- Chop chocolate and butter into small and equal-sized pieces and melt using double boiler. Meanwhile, sift all-purpose and almond flour. Once mixture has completely melted, remove from heat. Whip egg yolks with half of the sugar until ribbon stage is reached. Add to chocolate mixture. Using Oster® Hand/Stand Mixer, begin to whip egg whites with the remaining sugar. Meanwhile, add dry ingredients to mixture and mix. When whites reach soft-peak stage, fold them into mixture.
- Heat cream to a boil. Chop chocolate into small and equal pieces. Pour hot cream over chocolate and mix until chocolate melts thoroughly. Place this ganache in a bowl over an ice bath until firm enough to roll. Roll into logs approximately 3/4 inch diameter and store in freezer until needed. Brush four molds (2 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches deep) with butter and line with parchment paper that reaches 3/4 inch above rim. Pipe a small amount of cake mixture into the bottom. Place ganache plug in the center and cover with more cake mixture. Freeze until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Unmold onto a plate and top with a spoonful of burnt-sugar cream.